Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Harvey

"In this life you can be oh so smart or oh so pleasant. For years I was smart. I recommend pleasant. You may quote me." - Elwood P. Dowd

I love this movie. It just makes you feel good - almost like you've been hugged or wrapped in a blanket asleep in front of a fire when it's snowing outside. Mr. Dowd walks through life slowly, picking flowers, inviting people over for dinner in honor of a poor man released from jail, presenting everyone with his card and paying compliments to every woman he meets. Sincere compliments - not the flippant ones that men fling out at women now when they remember that we like them.
This movie made me love the name Harvey because it's just so nice, relaxed, slow, thoughtful and, just as Mr. Dowd said, pleasant.

I want my boxer puppy named Harvey, my little white schnauzer puppy named Violet, and my yet unnamed chinchilla. Maybe 2 chinchillas - I could name one Jack and the other one Lucy. Not for while you were sleeping, but for Jack Johnson and Lucy Peevensie.

No comments: